Kala Art Institute welcomes artists to apply online for our Fellowship Award. The Kala Fellowship award is an international competition open to artists from the U.S. and around the world. Artists producing innovative work in all mediums including printmaking, digital media, installation art, social practice, photography, and book arts are encouraged to apply. Fellowship Awards are given based on conceptual creativity, originality, and artistic excellence as well as technical knowledge.
The Kala Fellowship Award annually grants nine artists a cash award, unlimited access to Kala’s facilities for up to six months, one Kala class, and a culminating show in the Kala Gallery. The award is geared towards supporting artists in completing specific projects or bodies of work that would benefit from Kala’s specialized equipment in printmaking and digital media.
The 2014-2015 Fellowship Award deadline is Friday April 4, 2014.
The application is now online at kala.slideroom.com.
Kala selects nine artists and each receives a fellowship consisting of:
- A $3,000 cash award
- Up to six months of studio residency at Kala Art Institute
- with 24/7 access to Kala’s studio (An individual studio space may be also available depending on proposed projects and schedules.)
- A free class or equivalent tutorial sessions.
- An exhibition opportunity at the Kala gallery of the artwork created during the residency
- Staff support for a public program or some other form of community engagement
Artist Project Space Residency
As part of the overall Fellowship residency, one artist will be considered for a Kala Artist Project Space month, where their projects are developed in a studio space open to the public during their fellowship. This program is geared toward artists making work that is appropriate to develop onsite and engages the public in some form. Artists are given access to a 20’x25′ project space for one month, in which time it is open to the public for viewing during normal gallery hours.
CA Artists Living Outside of Main Metropolitan Areas
One of the nine Kala Fellowship awards is designated specifically to a California artist living outside of the main metropolitan areas. To serve a more diverse constituency, The James Irvine Foundation generously funds this Fellowship award. Artists from the North Coast, Central Coast, Central Valley and Inland Empire are eligible and encouraged to apply.
2014 FELLOWSHIP AWARD APPLICATION
The 2014 Fellowship competition will be juried by Kala’s Directors and a panel that includes one fellowship alumni artist and one invited Bay Area arts professional. We are pleased to announce our 2014-2015 Fellowship Award guest jurors:
Ranu Mukherjee, Alumni Fellowship Artist
Xiaoyu Weng, Curator, Writer, and Director of Asian Programs for the Kadist Art Foundation and Asian Contemporary Arts Consortium in San Francisco.
A Full Application Includes:
- Completed Application Questionnaire
- Artist Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Interest in working at Kala Art Institute and how a Fellowship Award will affect a specific future project and/or how it will impact your overall practice.
- Documentation of recent work (see specifications on the online application for guidelines according to discipline)
- Three References
- $40 Application Fee
The 2014-2015 Fellowship Award application is now online at kala.slideroom.com. Hardcopy and email submissions are no longer accepted.
- This is a studio residency only; housing is not included.
- Students enrolled in a degree granting program at the time of the deadline are not eligible for the award.
For questions about the online application guidelines, e-mail Program Manager, Carrie Hott at email@example.com.
Kala Art Institute
1060 Heinz Ave
Berkeley, CA 94710 – USA