4th Festa della Cultura – San Giovanni Battista
Florence, ITALY: JUNE 13-24, 2015
The festival is dedicated to the people of Florence in celebrating the feast day of the city’s patron saint on 24th June. The last three years’ programs have offered a wide variety of events including contemporary sacred art exhibitions, interdisciplinary conferences and a symposium, several concerts of early Florentine music plus guided visits to locations venerating John the Baptist in the historic center. This year’s festival will in addition bring new events to involve and engage the community.
The Festival is a voluntary non-profit initiative designed to provide a forum for Florentine artists, musicians and academics – and to benefit in real terms the venues in which the events take place. The primary mission is to bring together Florentines and visitors in celebrating the inspiration of the city’s Patron Saint through communal cultural appreciation.
Building on three years of high-quality visual and performing arts events, this year’s festival offers a new theme of Formazione – highlighting student artists and musicians inspired by Florence’s greatest exponents, past and present, in a lively contrasting dialogue heralding a new generation and bright future.
Thanks to the ongoing patrocinio of the Comune di Firenze and The Florentine, the Festival continues to create original events in unique locations and, as a non-profit initiative, also supports other arts ventures, churches and charities in a spirit of communal cultural appreciation and in celebration of the Feast Day of the city’s Patron Saint.
The program will include two art exhibitions, four concerts, a church service and a community project:
- The exhibitions by eminent Florentine artists Alessandro Vannini (in the Palagio di Parte Guelfa) and Antonio Ciccone (hosted by the Comune di Stazzema) run throughout the festival period.
- A concert by pianists Jonathan Ferrucci and Giulia Grassi, as a fundraising for their inaugural Lizzano Music Festival, and a piano recital by Natascha Majek, to benefit Angeli per un Giorno will both be held in Auditorium dell’Ente Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze.
- Music students from the Study Abroad program of the Florentia Consort will present a concert hosted by University of Colorado Boulder in the Auditorium al Duomo.
- An English Catholic Mass will be held in the historic church of Santi Apostoli e Biago. Finally, a concert of sacred music, by the Harding University in Florence Singers to benefit the church’s new community fund-raising project.
- Students supported by Angeli per un Giorno will study renaissance fresco techniques at the Academia d’Arte San Giovanni.
We sincerely hope that you will join us in celebrating the continuing artistic and spiritual heritage of this unique city.
John Hoenig FRSA
Fondatore e Direttore Artistico
Festa della Cultura San Giovanni Battista – Firenze, Italia
Follow on Twitter: @FestaCultura
Further information and bookings please visit the new Festival website: www.festacultura.org