DIS: Theater, Body and Diversity (Instructor: Dejan Atanackovic)
Beginning Fall 2015, SACI offers a new Directed Independent Study (DIS) option which is intended to explore the creative potential of a dialogue on diversity, through the language of theater and performance. Starting with the historical overview of the representation of “madness” since the birth of the modern clinic, the program of study includes visits to a Florentine daily psychiatric center, where students will study the methods of creative expression and exchange through dialogues and work with patients and staff. Collaboration with experts in theater (directors, actors) will follow in the form of a specific group project development, which will include the creative participation of the mentally challenged performers. Development of a theatrical project will include narrative, scenographic (video projections, objects, lighting) and performative elements. Rehearsals on a stage will take place before the realization of a public event in a theatrical space in Florence.
The course is organized into 14 sessions in 6 parts:
- Introduction to the theme, setting up objectives, bibliography, and filmography
- Visits to the psychiatric daily center Fili e Colori: diversity and creative expression
- Rehearsals at the Teatro 334, Brozzi, with Alessandro Fantechi and Isole Comprese
- Project development: Narrative elements, Scenographic elements, Performative elements
- The stage and rehearsals
- Realization of a theatrical event
The course collaborates with 3 local groups: Fili e Colori, Isole Comprese, Teatro 334
See the related SACI course, Body Archives.